Friday, January 26, 2007

Nov 3

Today is the last day. I finally slept really well last night. Yup, sleeping at altitude is definately the problem and not the hard ground. Maybe it was because I was totally exhausted after all the trekking. I can honestly say that I am very excited to see a hot shower and a real bed.

This day was not a good one for my knees. I got up at about 6am. Packed up and had breakfast. Was up way to early as usual so I needed to hang around waiting for the guys to get ready. Finally at 7:30 we were off.

Of course the whole trek is downhill complete with steps. My left knee was screaming mimi. Even with all of the steps to slow me down I made it in 2 1/2 hrs. Charles ( the first guide) was there to meet us. He needed to be there to fill out the paper work.

While getting my paper work done I saw the French guy that I thought was blind. He looked a zillion times better and I noticed that he was not blind at all. I was shocked. It was all altitude sickness. This made me upset cause that meant that they pushed him up to the top risking his life. I walked up to him and asked him is the spoke English. That is when he told me he was French but his wife was Canadian. I told him that I was thrilled to see that he was doing way better and that he scared alot of people up there. I also told him that I thought he was blind. He told me that all he could see was like looking through a tunnel.

I got my paperwork (certifiate proving I made it to the summit) and got in the van to head back to the hotel. When I got to the hotel I saw that the French group was in the driveway ahead of me. Seems like they we are staying at he same hotel. We all went to our rooms to get the hot showers and have lunch. At lunch I was going to sit alone but the French group was already there and asked if I would like to join them. YA!!!! I was so tried of being alone by this time that even sitting with people who could hardly speak English was a very warm welcome. As it turns out there were two people who could speak English very well and two who desperately wanted to speak it better so they want to practise with me. I loved it.

It was at lunch that I learned that thier group was 10 and that they had hired a French guide who climbs the Alps all the time. It was the uncles 64th birthday and this was his dream. Not one of them in the group had ever climbed a mountain before. I am shocked to hear just how many people do this climb as their very first. I also found out that the path we took down is used to get things up very quickly. They even brought a birthday cake up to them at the camp just before the summit.

After lunch they invited me to join them for dinner as well. We all hit the swimming pool or bed to rest. At dinner all of their guides joined us. They were young and sweet. There was alot of drinking and singing going on. We have a wonderful time.

While all of this is going on I am patiently waiting for Robin to arrive. Robin is from Boston. I meet her here on Bonaire. She had come here for a vacation and we just hit if off. She of course if late arriving but that is okay as I am totally being entertained.

1 comment:

bl4ze said...

Hey:
Another exciting page. Im glad you showed concern for the blind (not so blind gentleman) Are all those flowers and plants just growing in the wild. Beautiful! Probably take me a month to trek to the top and the altitude, no I couldnt cope with that. So now you have new friends from France......Waiting for your next neck of the trip.
Big Bear Hug Aunty Dot